Wednesday, February 18, 2015






Title: I Am Malala: The Girl Who Stood Up for Education and Was Shot by the Taliban
Author(s): Malala Yousafzai and Christina Lamb
Genre: non-fiction, biography, education for girls

I am disappointed in this book. This was the January selection for the book club I belong to and we are reading books in 2015 about strong women. This book was my pick and it didn't live up to my expectations. Malala has an inspiring story and this book fails to capture this. At first I thought the busyness of life was not letting me enjoy this book but the writing was choppy and the whole book didn't seem to "flow" very well. On the positive side, Malala gives the reader lots of background information on the political history and climate of Pakistan and the history of Swat, her home in Pakistan. The reader learns how the corrupt and inept Pakistani government let the Taliban infiltrate their country and brainwash the Pakistani people. There are lot of parallels between the Taliban takeover of Pakistan and the Nazi takeover in Germany. Should people read this book? Yes, but it might not live up to your expectations.

No comments:

Post a Comment