Friday, March 29, 2013


Title: Catch-22
Author: Joseph Heller
Genre: classic, war literature, humor

I have a confession to make. I am 33 years old and I have finally read Catch-22.
Why did I wait so long to read it?
Well, I really didn't have an interest until my friend D.C. dared/challenged me to read it and review it on this blog:
"If/when you read Catch-22 pay particular attention to Chapter 10.  Some of the best irony ever written.   I'm reading it again and realize this book contributed a great deal my to cynical attitude. It is complex, confusing, and disorganized for most people used to reading plots.  There isn't one.  Heller's descriptions of the characters and their expressions is top notch.  The whole book is about irony."

Hmm. A book with no plot? I'm a chronological, organized, Type-A personality. How would I enjoy a book with no plot? Well, surprisingly, I did! The book is full of irony as my friend mentioned (just imagine Stephen Colbert writing a book of fiction) and parts of it are hilarious. I received a few sidelong glances from my coworkers in the lunchroom when they heard me giggling and snorting. You will also enjoy this book if you have ever worked for an organization or institution where things didn't make sense. The poor soldiers in this book have to deal with superiors who are nit-wits, unoriginal, and prone to repetition and ridiculousness.

What book do you challenge/dare me to read next?

No comments:

Post a Comment