Monday, May 6, 2013


Title: The Rhino with Glue-on Shoes and Other Surprising True Stories of Zoo Vets and Their Patients
Author(s): Lucy H. Spelman and Ted Y. Mashima (editors)
Genre: essays, story collection, non-fiction, animals

A quirky and eye-catching title of essays/non-fiction short stories from zoo vets around the world. The vets that submitted these stories literally had to "Macgyver" a treatment plan for their patients: MRI for an octopus, fish puree for an orphaned-yet-too-young-to-wean dolphin, orthopedic cast for a giraffe, root canal on a hippo, poison antidote for a tiger, and the "glue-on shoes" for a rhino (inspired by horseshoes). A quick, educational and entertaining read; not all the stories have a happy ending but no story turns sappy. This book shows you how improvisation and inspiration helped vets propel zoo vet technology forward.

1 comment:

  1. Hey! I just happened to see this review of yours on Goodreads after I posted my own for the same book. I'm a veterinarian and dream of getting more into zoo and wildlife medicine someday. In the meantime, I'm a vet in the Army. I've always loved reading and writing, and I just recently wrote and published my first short story on Amazon. It's about an Army vet (like myself) and a military dog in Afghanistan. I didn't see any links on here about how to submit stuff for you to review, so I just thought I would try here. You can find my story on Goodreads at: http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/18192285-no-dog-left-behind Hope you'll check it out and maybe even write one of your great reviews!

    ReplyDelete